by Diane Clark
Legend has it that Eton mess was invented when an over-excited dog accidentally crushed a meringue dessert being taken to Eton College for a picnic!! Whether or not the canine claim is true, this delicious jumble of soft cream, chewy meringue and ripe strawberries is the perfect dessert for when you inevitably become just a little bored of strawberries towards the end of summer.
- Serves: 4
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 250ml double cream
- 150ml Greek yoghurt
- 4 ready-made meringue nests, broken up
- 1 tbsp ginger cordial (optional)
- 500g strawberries
1. Whip the double cream and Greek yoghurt together.
2. Break the meringues into chunks and stir into the cream.
3. Put half of the strawberries into a bowl and crush gently with a fork so some of their juices are released. Mix into the cream and meringue mixture.
4. Divide the mixture into four glasses, or a large trifle bowl if you prefer.
5. Put the remaining strawberries and a sprig of mint on top as a garnish.
6. Variations: toasted chopped nuts, blackberries and in fact, any fruit of your choice could be added.