Lemon Fairy Cakes
by Diane Clark and Sara Whatley
These pretty cupcakes have a delicate lemon flavoured sponge with strawberry buttercream icing.
- Makes: 12
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients For The Cake
- 175g self-raising flour, sifted
- 110g spreadable butter
- 110g golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 dessertspoon lemon juice
- Zest of one large lemon
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and, using an electric whisk, beat until absolutely smooth (1-2 minutes).
- Line a patty or bun tin with paper cases. Drop an equal quantity of the mixture into the paper cases and bake near the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cakes are well-risen and golden.
- Then remove them to a wire rack and leave to cool.
Ingredients For The Butter Cream Icing
- 140g/5oz butter, softened
- 280g/10oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Few drops food colouring
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the milk and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Beat in the milk, if necessary, to loosen the mixture.
- Stir in the food colouring until well combined.
- Pipe over the top of the cakes.