Find Support For Mental Health Issues At West Sussex Libraries
A series of special events to raise awareness of mental health issues and support those affected is taking place in West Sussex libraries.
As part of Mental Health Awareness Week (14-20 May), these events will run alongside the libraries’ regular activities.
Monday 14 May
- Chichester Library from 11am to 3pm: Pebble Painting. A fun drop in activity run by Coastal West Sussex Mind, ‘pebble painting’ provides a relaxed and informal environment to open up and have a chat.
- Burgess Hill Library from 7pm to 8.30pm: Introduction to Mindfulness. Being more aware of the present moment can positively change the way you feel about life and how you approach challenges. Join Jann Palmer from Mid Sussex Wellbeing for this free Introduction to Mindfulness session. The session is free but places are limited, so please book in advance by calling 01444 247726, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or book online.
Tuesday 15 May
- Worthing Library from 12.10pm to 12.50pm: Lunchtime Talk, The Samaritans. They offer a safe place for you to talk any time about whatever is troubling you. Drop in to this free talk and find out why the Samaritan’s service works and what you can expect when contacting them. You can also talk to a volunteer from Samaritans at their information stand on the day between 9.30am and 4.30pm.
- Burgess Hill Library from 2pm to 5.30pm: Volunteering Drop-in. Being engaged with your local community and giving to others can have a positive impact on your mental wellbeing. Drop in and find out about a wide range of local volunteering opportunities.
Wednesday 16 May
- Burgess Hill Library from 1.10pm to 1.50pm: Lunchtime Talk, The Recovery Letters. Put together by James Whitely, a trained counsellor who now works for West Sussex libraries, ‘The Recovery Letters’ is a series of online letters written by people recovering from depression, addressed to those currently affected. James will talk about the background to the project, read from the book, sign copies and answer questions about depression and mental health. The talk is free, but please book in advance as spaces are limited.
Thursday 17 May
- Littlehampton Library from 10am to 12pm: Pebble Painting. A fun drop in activity run by Coastal West Sussex Mind, pebble painting provides a relaxed and informal environment to open up and have a chat.
For further information on events at your local West Sussex library visit www.westsussex.gov.uk/libraryevents.