Minty Summer Rice Salad
by Diane Clark
A colourful and refreshing combination of seasonal ingredients with a crunchy texture, together with a simple lemon and olive oil dressing. May the sun keep on shining!
- Serves: 4
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 250g long grain rice
- 250g bunch asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery
- Tin of kidney beans, washed and drained
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large bunch of mint leaves, shredded
- Optional additions: feta cheese or halved mini Mozzarella balls
- Put the rice into a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 10 minutes. Toss in the asparagus and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until the rice is completely cooked and the asparagus is only slightly crunchy. Drain into a colander and hold under the cold tap until cool.
- When the rice is cold, stir in the red pepper, celery, spring onions, celery, oil, lemon zest and juice and mint leaves. Season well. If you decide on adding cheese, do so before seasoning.