News From John Lloyd Fine Furniture
Another very busy month is nearly over and our students are feeling the pressure to finish their projects as they reach the end of another term. To those that are leaving us we will miss you, and wish you every success with your future projects and careers. We look forward to welcoming our next group of enthusiastic students very shortly.
John recently spent a very enjoyable day at Felder UK in Milton Keynes as one of a panel of experts invited to judge a competition organised to celebrate the company’s 60th anniversary with the intention of unearthing some new and exciting woodworking talent. There were five finalists, with first place being awarded to Nathan Millar for his ‘Walnut and Stone Cabinet on Stand’. Nathan scooped the winning prize of the A3-26 planer/thicknesser with Silent power cutterblock and was, naturally, absolutely delighted!
Win a John Lloyd 2 day Course worth £250
Not surprisingly entries are already flooding in for our own competition.
Don’t miss out on your chance to WIN a John Lloyd Tool Sharpening & Tuning Weekend Course worth £250.
Visit our website to enter. Entries close 30th April.
Beautiful Boxes – Learning to Love Laminating
An intensive 3 day course learning about laminating and more complex joints and take away a beautiful small box with a curved lid as a memento of your newly acquired skills.
What you will Learn:
- Laminates– how to choose laminate materials for a particular project
- Glues – types, properties, solvents…
- Moulds – types, materials and techniques for accurate home-made moulds
- Equipment – Tools, cramps, routers… used for making moulds and laminating
- Vacuum Press – options, types, bags – tried and tested methods for using this cunning piece of equipment in a smaller workshop.
- Veneering – adding veneer to a curved surface using a vacuum press and traditional techniques
- Cabinetmaking Skills – accurately preparing components, hand-cutting mitres, using shooting boards and jigs, cutting grooves, letting in and fitting hinges
Next Course: 26-28th August 2017
John Lloyd Fine Furniture
Address: Bankside Farm, Ditchling Common, Burgess Hill, East Sussex. RH15 0SJ