Admire The Waterlilies At Sheffield Park And Garden This Summer At The First Waterlily Festival
Saturday 9th June to Sunday 15th July 2018
June 2018 sees the launch of the first Waterlily Festival at the National Trust’s Sheffield Park and Garden. The Festival is an opportunity to celebrate the beauty of the famous lakes and the different varieties of waterlily they support. A relatively modern aspect of the garden design, the waterlilies were an addition made at the turn of the last century when hardy varieties were being bred in the dazzling pinks and buttery yellows we see today.
A floating pontoon on Middle Lake will give visitors the opportunity to walk out and get closer to the blooms, offering a unique chance for a different view of the landscape. An installation of giant lily pads and flowers will create a visual impact on Ten Foot Pond competing with the scale and grandeur of the surroundings.
The garden will open later for two evenings over Midsummer weekend. The garden takes on an enchanting feel in the evenings with light, scents and sounds changing as day turns to night. It’s an opportunity not to be missed. Visitors can discover more about waterlilies through a programme of events, talks and creative workshops running throughout the five-week long Festival. There is also an opportunity to talk to the garden team about planting and caring for the waterlilies.
General Manager, Laura Booty, commented ‘We’re really looking forward to our first Waterlily Festival this summer. The waterlilies are such a special feature of the garden and we hope visitors will enjoy the events, workshops, talks and evenings we have planned to celebrate them. This unique garden has so much to offer all year round but the waterlilies are certainly a stunning time of year to visit.’
Events during the Waterlily Festival:
- The Waterlily Festival will run from Saturday 9th June to Sunday 15th July. Join us over five weeks to celebrate the impressive display of waterlilies on the lakes. With a variety of tours and activities to take part in, plus installations to see, enjoy the garden in early summer and learn more about these fascinating plants. Normal admission prices apply.
- Waterlily Wednesdays – Wednesdays 13, 20, 27 June & 4, 11 July, 11.30am. Meet one of the gardeners by the lake to learn more about the history and horticulture of our waterlily collection. Learn what it takes to look after these iconic flowers and take the opportunity to ask any questions. (Donations welcome).
- Photography workshops – Saturday 16 & Tuesday 19 June, 9.30am to 12.30pm. Join professional photographer, Roger Bloxham, to learn how to get the most from your digital camera, focusing on the waterlilies on the lake. A break for tea or coffee and cake in the tearoom is included. £25 per person (booking essential).
- Midsummer evenings – Friday 22 & Saturday 23 June, 6.30pm to 9.30pm. Enjoy the waterlilies in the late afternoon sunshine with music drifting across the lakes. Refreshments will be available and stargazing will be taking place on the parkland after 9.30pm. £8 per adult (booking essential).
- Printing workshop – Wednesday 11 & Saturday 14 July, 9am to 4pm. Spend time in the garden studying and sketching the waterlilies before returning to design, create and use your own waterlily printing block. All materials are included, plus tea or coffee and cake. Lunch can be purchased from the tearoom or bring your own. £85 per person (booking essential).
Address: Sheffield Park, Uckfield, East Sussex, TN22 3QX
Telephone: 01825 790231